Friday, February 19, 2010

Will the FM bare it all ?


Sum scans FM's mind ahead of his budget speech.

There’s something in the air and in the stock market which is not normal. This is especially true, when the budget is approaching. Market insiders do manage information in bits and pieces from their “moles” in the ministry and try to benefit from it. There is no budget rally, so I’m expecting a major roll back of fiscal incentives. Also since there is no interim fuel price hike, I foresee a moderated version of market price mechanism for fuel pricing in the budget. Diesel car owners in particular are on the radar, and they can expect a tequila shot from the FM. He would test the waters and not really go for a firm measure, maybe by giving a feeler of the market pricing mechanism scheme this time and leaving the bigger and more comprehensive implementation to a future budget. Still I’m sure government is firm footed to roll back part financing of my long drive with my date. With a heft subsidy on petrol I sure am enjoying longer and crisper drives with my girls (of course they are partly financed by the FM, No doubt why the girls love him so much).
I’m fond of this FM and his negotiating skills, especially in not yielding ground to the opposite parties on the negotiating table. He’s proved to be a hard negotiator with the states on GST implementation and I see some moderated steps in this direction. He’s also tested the market feedback on Direct Tax Code, so I foresee some positive news and a time frame defined for its implementation.
I’m expecting FM to act like Bipashu Basu on the 26th. While he will stop short of baring it all, expect him to leave little for imagination, and in the process grab everyone’s fancy.

No comments: